Dremel Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit #THDProSpective

Dremel Oscillating Multi-Tool Review

Dremel Oscillating Multi-Tool Review

We reviewed the Dremel MM30 last year and quite frankly we were not impressed with it. It was weak, slow, underpowered and overheated a lot. We tried a second unit and it performed the same. We cannot recommend it for anything harder to cut than drywall. Next up is the Dremel Oscillating Multi-Tool Review.

This post is sponsored by The Home Depot

Dremel was concerned about our results and reached out. They told me the MM30 was not meant for job site use.  I wholeheartedly agreed.  Dremel offered a Dremel Oscillating Multi-Tool MM45 to review and said it would perform better. They also said it was still not meant for professional construction use but added that it would do most tasks well.

Dremel Oscillating Multi-Tool Review  So what is the difference in the two tools? They look almost identical.  The form factor, the plastic and over mold look the same. They feel similar.

From the first use I realized the MM45 was a huge upgrade over the 30. It has a lot more power. It doesn’t struggle cutting plywood or framing materials like the MM30 did. It holds speed better in any material.  It sands better.  I even think the blades stay sharp longer. I think it’s because the tool clears the dust more effectively. This allows the edge to do more cutting of fresh cool material rather than bogging down in hot dust.

Another advantage of the MM45 is the variable speed is actually useful. It has enough power and speed that it  makes sense to turn it down sometimes. Some plastics do better at lower speeds. Too fast and they melt which doesn’t make for a clean-cut. It also saves blades when cutting metal. Slower speeds produce less heat so the teeth stay sharp longer.

The MM45 has a tool-less blade changing mechanism.  I’ll say it works pretty well. It seems to stay tight for us. We have used it on intermittent sub-flooring cuts and detail sanding. We cut all the staples on a flooring underlayment tear out with it. We have not used it to cut subfloor out around a whole kitchen or something of that nature. We will leave those more difficult jobs to the MM45’s stronger cousin the Bosch Starlock.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We found the MM45 to have heat management issues like the other Dremel units we have reviewed. This is why I have not been using it on extended cutting tasks.

Where do we feel this tool fits in? I have to be honest. I don’t recommend it for professional use.  It will certainly be adequate for most home projects and crafts. If you are remodeling your own home the MM45 will be plenty of tool for many tasks in the process. Dremel offers a wide array of accessories for cutting, grinding, paint scraping, grout removal etc. if it’s not something you will use heavily. You may find it fits your needs better than a more expensive professional grade tool. It offers similar cutting power to many of the more professional tools at a lower price point.

Check it out at Home Depot.

I acknowledge that The Home Depot is
partnering with me to participate in
the ProSpective 2018 Campaign. As a part of
the Program, I am receiving compensation in
the form of products and services, for the
purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All
expressed opinions and experiences are my
own words. My post complies with the Word Of
Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics
Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission
guidelines.

2019-01-09T11:07:30-05:00October 24th, 2018|Dremel|37 Comments

About the Author:

37 Comments

1. Chris Jacobsen 01/08/2019 at 9:02 AM - Reply

You can never have enough versatile tools like this. I could definitely use this in the shop for all kinds of one off projects or fixes to things.

@Hiramwoodworking

2. Leethelawnguy 01/08/2019 at 5:03 AM - Reply

I am in real need of a new multi tool. The one I currently have is from Harbor freight and I smelled a burning the last time I used it. That sure would be a nice addition I have been debating on purchasing a cordless multitool. What are your thoughts Milwaukee or Makita.

3. Jonathan Rivera 01/07/2019 at 11:26 PM - Reply

I dont currently own a multi tool but have used this before and it works really great and the quick blade change is awseome

4. Baldemar Gomez 01/07/2019 at 9:36 PM - Reply

I’ve followed your channel for awhile and I even bought my Makita Subcompact 18v kit based on your recommendations! Would love to own this tool! @baldemar_gomezjr

5. Andy B 01/07/2019 at 9:12 PM - Reply

@mrbuehn here. I could think of 1001 uses for this around the house.

6. Craig Watkins 01/07/2019 at 8:28 PM - Reply

I am a huge fan of Dremel. I still have and use my original Dremel I bought 20 years ago. It has gotten me out of quite a few jams in my career. @inkncraig on instagram

7. Tyler Fleming 01/07/2019 at 8:27 PM - Reply

I’m not sure my first comment went through, so i’ll try again… I am a homeowner (not professional), in need of a tool like this. I would love to put it to good use…

8. dylan johnson 01/07/2019 at 8:26 PM - Reply

this seems like it would be great for me as i am starting to get into woodworking and am also a new homeowner and can see many areas where this will help me renovate here and there to get our home to be what we envision it to be. i would love to win this tool i have wanted a dremel for years. johnsonhyroad91 on instagram

9. Anonymous 01/07/2019 at 8:20 PM - Reply

I love tools. I am a new home owner with a lot of new projects to get done. Would love a new dremel tool to get these projects done. I still have my original dremel tool, i bought 20 years ago.

10. Tyler Fleming 01/07/2019 at 8:18 PM - Reply

I’m in need of this tool and would love to have it!

11. Tyler Friesen 01/07/2019 at 8:17 PM - Reply

Just bought my first home, would be a great addition to my renovation arsenal.

• Tyler Friesen 01/07/2019 at 8:17 PM - Reply

IG name is tfreeze27

12. Kody N 01/07/2019 at 7:53 PM - Reply

Hey Toolpig. I have the mm30 would love to upgrade and snag that nailer too. Thanks for providing honest feedback on tools!! @kkarlnielsen

13. Mark Signor 01/07/2019 at 7:17 PM - Reply

I have been looking to upgrade from my harbor freight oscillator. This looks like a viable option! M.sigz

14. KENNETH G MOORE 01/07/2019 at 7:06 PM - Reply

Never used a dremel but this tool looks sweet.

15. Larry 01/07/2019 at 6:58 PM - Reply

Let me win this! I need this for a few home projects. Keep up with the great reviews!

IG: @Lord_Do

16. Nick alexander 01/07/2019 at 6:47 PM - Reply

Great tool. We have one to cut our jams for tile Install, as well for some cabinetry work👍

@buzz_alexander

17. Logan p 01/07/2019 at 6:15 PM - Reply

Dermal is a great brand
    IG logan p

18. Daniel Crawford 01/07/2019 at 6:09 PM - Reply

I’ve heard the DeWalt is among the best in this category? Do you agree? @dcrawford.1

19. RICK ARIAS 01/07/2019 at 5:06 PM - Reply

Sounds and looks like a good tool for the hobbys around the house, not construction…
    @lowlevel_superhero INSTAGRAM

20. justin 01/07/2019 at 4:29 PM - Reply

I had a Rockwell f30 that broke recently and I was in the market for a new one. this might be it.
    I.g. redtex206

21. Taun Vallet 01/07/2019 at 3:36 PM - Reply

There are so many things you can do with a OMT. There life savers sometimes.
    @backyard_beehive

22. Tim 01/07/2019 at 3:36 PM - Reply

Love it. @kimos626garage

23. Adam Leal 01/07/2019 at 3:26 PM - Reply

Love your reviews. Always know I’m getting a fair take on the tool. Keep it up.

JW
    @leal615gmailcom
    Adam Leal on facebook

24. Charles 12/07/2018 at 2:03 PM - Reply

Another quality tool from Dremel it seems from the review!
    @makitaCharles

25. Josh 12/07/2018 at 11:21 AM - Reply

Sweet tool I have been looking for a solid recommendation for multi tool and was considering battery vs coffee, any suggestion? Joshatoday on instagram

26. Tracy barker 12/06/2018 at 7:52 PM - Reply

Dreamers are awesome !

27. Nik barker 12/06/2018 at 7:08 PM - Reply

Can’t waite to try1

28. CR Shelton 12/06/2018 at 10:53 AM - Reply

Oh, I see that using some slower speeds can have some benefits. I didn’t realize that about the metal. What about drywall?

29. CR Shelton 12/06/2018 at 9:59 AM - Reply

How does this compare to the Milwaukee 12v Fuel multitool? I have that one and have found it enjoyable and dependable, although, I have wondered if a corded tool would be more powerful. I have noticed the brand of blades make a huge difference.
    Also, what are the uses for the variable speeds, especially, why would I use a lower than high?

30. Nik Barker 12/06/2018 at 8:53 AM - Reply

If the Toolpig recommends it then I know it will be awesome . I’ve never used one and now I can’t waite to try! Thanks

31. Preston 12/05/2018 at 8:03 PM - Reply

I personally don’t own one but I would love to! More tools means more and better projects! I love a good diy project

32. Jeff Hoepker jeff_t_dadof3 IG 12/05/2018 at 5:59 PM - Reply

I have used several multitool over the last few years. How did we ever get by without them?? I appreciate the honest review on this not being a professional grade tool. I’m sure it will fill a niche and be enough for most jobs.

33. Leo grant 12/05/2018 at 5:54 PM - Reply

This would be a great tool to try. I’ve never used one but can see the value in making cut jobs a bit easier

34. Larry 12/05/2018 at 5:17 PM - Reply

Great article! I hope this is the right spot to enter!

35. Andy W 12/05/2018 at 2:56 PM - Reply

I would love the chance to win one of these tools. I’ve used my 12v craftsman one a lot but it just can’t hold a charge any more. Dremel has a good niche and love their tools

36. Isaac Santiago 11/06/2018 at 2:06 AM - Reply

We at Santecustompainting@gmail.com love tools, because it helps us get our job done faster, especially Dewalt tools because we have been in business over 20 years, and we still have some of original tools from the start of our business.