Husky 3/8 drive Digital Torque Wrench
Team Toolpig welcomes the opinion of a 6 year Tradesman Field Mechanic.
Let’s talk about the pros and cons of the Husky 3/8 drive Digital Torque Wrench, my overall opinion as a mechanic is that it is a very affordable torque wrench for the everyday mechanic. It has a torque range 5-80 in. lbs. When compared to my “other brand” torque wrenches I find it is spot on. It also comes with a certificate of calibration, definite pro. I do like the adjustment knob, I find it very easy to adjust and lock, this takes a lot of strain off your wrist by not twisting the handle, another pro for me as a tradesman that uses his hands daily I like to find the tools that do the work for me with the least strain on my body. The handle has a very comfortable grip as well, which is beneficial for long time use. It also is oil resistant and this is a great thing in the hand of any mechanic. I know myself, I tend to get my hands a little greasy and dirty.
The first con I see with the wrench. There is no way to push to release your socket button on the head, that would be something I would recommend to add, as the ball can wear out and cause your socket to fall off.
It does have a rebuildable ratchet pawl, if the ratchet were to wear out, replacement parts could be considered. I like the fact that if you can adjust to ft. lbs, you can simply press the green button to convert to either; in.lbs, newton meters, or kilogram per cm on the fly. The other con I see is I would recommend on the next generation of this 3/8 Digital Torque Wrench to have a LED Backlight display, for working in a dark environment, definitely see a lot of dark places with such a great tool.
Most of the tools in my toolbox have consisted of Gear-Wrench, Matco and Snap-on mainly because I am partial to the warranty for the tools but I am open to Husky with this warranty policy.
My overall opinion- How could anyone pass up such a great quality tool with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!
- Torque range: 5 to 80 ft. lbs. or 60 to 960 in. lbs. or 6.78 to 108.48 N-m and 69.1 to 1106.0 kg-cm
- LED screen can be switched with the push of a button to display in ft.-lbs., in.-lbs., or newton meters or kilogram centimeters
- Factory calibrated to +/- 4% clockwise accuracy in the upper 80% of torque range
- Wrench is designed to give an audible click when torque setting is reached
- Hard plastic case for storage and protection
- End cap twist to easily set desired torque level which is displayed on the LED screen
- Sealed head design keeps out dirt and oil
- When the wrench is set the low end of the torque range the click will be less then when at the high end of range
- Recommended that you remove batteries when wrench is stored for extended periods
- Meets or exceeds ANSI standards
- Oil resistant rubberized grip
- When the wrench is not in use, it is recommended to store it below 25% of capacity
- Wrench should be checked for accuracy every 5,000 torque applications or if it is subjected to abnormal handling